Bragard announces the appointment of María Laura Capalbo as a partner, bolstering the litigation and arbitration practice area, effective September 1st.
Capalbo has extensive experience in litigation, private international law and arbitration. Her experience includes acting in relevant trials and international arbitrations and competitions.
A graduate of University of the Republic, prior to joining the firm she worked as an associate and manager of the litigation practice at Posadas Posadas & Vecino law firm for 18 years.
In addition, she is on the list of arbitrators of the Conciliation and Arbitration Center, the International Arbitration Court for Mercosur, the Uruguay Stock Exchange, the Iberro-American Arbitration Center and the USSR.
Jean Jacques Bragard, founding partner at the firm said, “We are very happy with Laura’s incorporation. With this, we seek to strengthen our practice in the litigation, arbitration and private international law areas. A professional with the experience and prestige of Laura Capalbo will make a big difference to our firm, where her experience as a litigator will be an asset from day one. Her great capacity to integrate teams will allow us to face new challenges and reaffirm our growth in the legal services business”.
Last February 11, it became effective the public call to grant new licenses for the production and distribution of psychoactive cannabis (THC equal to or greater than 1%) to be commercialized for recreational purposes in pharmacies, which had been announced by IRCCA on December 2018.
Licenses to be granted:
- Initially, up to 3 new licenses
- For a period of 5 years
- To produce and distribute 2 tons of psychoactive cannabis per year by each licensee. The production will take place in plots provided by IRCCA of approx. 2 hectares, in the location of San José, Uruguay.
- Bidding companies that surpass the required score and not result licensees, will be included in a priority list for a period of 3 years, for the granting of possible new licenses by IRCCA, under the same conditions.
Bidders can be:
- Individuals and legal entities
- National and foreign
Bidders cannot be:
Several exclusions were provided in attention to situations that could represent conflicts of interest with intervening public organisms, or insolvency, but in particular it is relevant to point out that the following:
- Those who already have this type of license, or their shareholders, directors, representatives and/or final beneficiaries. There are currently two companies with licenses for the production and distribution of psychoactive cannabis, that were awarded in 2015 (ICC and Symbiosis)
- Those sanctioned by the IRCCA
Tender Terms and Conditions:
- Purchase is a prerequisite to submit bids
- The cost is approx. USD 5,000
- Available from February 11, 2019, upon payment
- Representation must be evidenced for their withdrawal and representative shall sign a confidentiality agreement on the terms and conditions of the tender and the proceeding.
Deadline for submission of offers:
- From April 1, 2019
- Until April 10, 2019
- The opening of bids will take place on April 11, 2019
Regarding the conditions for installation and production that were disclosed, we refer to our newsletter available at: http://www.bragard.com.uy/en/2018/12/12/call-for-tenders-to-grant-new-production-and-distribution-licenses-of-recreational-cannabis-in-uruguah/
At BRAGARD we have the experience to advise you on this call for expression of interest. Should you have any questions or need more information, do not hesitate to contact us at the following emails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
The financial trust named “Fideicomiso Financiero Tierras Irrigadas II”, launched the public offering of equity certificates worth up to USD 150 million.
The public offering took place on BEVSA (Uruguayan Electronic Stock Exchange), and the demand reached the total amount of the issuance. Investors in the public offering subscribed certificates for an amount of USD 138.750.000 million and the remaining certificates were subscribed by Bearing Agro S.A., honoring its commitment as sponsor of the project.
The parties are as follows: the trustor and at the same time the operator of the land and consultant for the business project is Bearing Agro S.A. and the trustee is TMF Uruguay Administradora de Fondos de Inversión y Fideicomisos S.A.. Briefly, Bearing Agro is a leading agribusiness and irrigation company situated in Uruguay, which exploits high quality agricultural properties in key productive areas of the country, implementing irrigation technology in order to optimize the distribution of water to the crops.
The proceeds of the financial trust issuance will allow the trust to purchase several agriculture farmlands with the purpose of installing watering systems that shall be extremely beneficial for the business purposes.
Bragard acted as counsel for the issuance (assisting both Bearing Agro and TMF Uruguay) in structuring the project, settling the financial trust, filing with BCU for approval and registration of securities.
Uruguayan government announced that on February 11, 2019 an open call will be published to grant up to five new licenses for the production and distribution of psychoactive cannabis (THC equal or greater than 1%) to be sold for recreational purposes (non-medicinal) in drugstores.
The purchase of marijuana without medical prescription in drugstores’ for such use, is one of the three access methods legalized by law No. 19,172, which was passed five years ago and is already implemented in Uruguay.
Currently there are two companies with production and distribution licenses awarded in 2015 (ICC and Symbiosis). The distribution by the companies referred to the drugstores authorized by the Ministry of Public Health and the IRCCA, was implemented mid-2017. To the date, that network consists of 17 drugstores and the number of people registered to buy is almost 32,000.
According to the information disclosed by the IRCCA, the new call is a consequence of the demand exceeding the offer, as well as the sustained increase in the registration of individuals to purchase legal marijuana through drugstores.
Although the terms and conditions of the tender will be published on February, IRCCA disclosed certain characteristics of the call, among which we highlight the following:
- The conditions for the sale will be the same as those currently in force.
- Each licensee must guarantee the annual production of up to 2 (two) tons of female flowers, unfertilized, dried, conditioned and packaged.
- The production will be in closed areas under controlled conditions and with quality management systems with UNIT ISO 9001/20015 certification.
- The varieties of cannabis to be produced, the land, the perimeter security and the management system for production traceability, will be provided by IRCCA.
- Human resources, facilities, internal security, logistics and distribution in adequate vehicles, shall be provided by the licensee companies, which must present the amount and composition of the proposed investment, as well as the technical qualities of the team (including pharmaceutical chemist, agronomist and responsible for GXP).
- The National Secretariat to Prevent Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism shall previously report regarding the final beneficiaries and the origin of funds.
The granting of the licenses is without prejudice of other permits that the companies shall obtain, for instance, regarding the production plant and the final product within the Ministry of Public Health.
Be aware that tender calls such as the announced are only required for the production and distribution of psychoactive cannabis for the acceding method referred to above, but is not necessary for other authorizations provided under Uruguayan law to produce and/or commercialize cannabis for medicinal, industrial or research purposes, which shall be granted upon private request and for which there are no quantity limits.
Contact us for more information regarding current licenses, features of the Uruguayan cannabis market and other requisites of the prospected call for tenders.